Friday, April 30

May Day and Flower Wreaths


I love May Day!  I think it is a remnant of my childhood years in Hawaii.  At my elementary school, May Day was a big deal.  The whole school would prepare for the celebration, always the first Friday in May.  Each grade level performed a different dance... hulas, stick dances from the Philippines, Zulu dances.  And of course, there was the Hawaiian Royal Court.  As one of the "good kids" I had the opportunity to be the princess of the Big Island, wearing red and adorned in flowers.

I remember sitting with my mother the night before the program stringing plumeria blossoms into leis and head wreaths.  We'd pick the blossoms from our own tree and from a friend's and then bring them home, heaping them into piles on the floor.  We'd sit on the floor watching a movie, our fingers getting sticky from the blossoms' milky substance.  I loved wearing the flowers and being engulfed in their scent.  It was one of the best parts of Spring.

As I wrote in my previous post, I was recently inspired by a trip to the Farmers Market.  After looking at the flowers, I was reminded that May Day is Saturday and wanted to recreate that flower wreath experience for my daughter.  Thus...

a floral wand (reminding me of a May Day Pole)...

and flowers to adorn her golden locks
(my attempt at poetry there).

While I would have loved to have made these of real flowers, the flowers in my yard are too fragile and my Tomboy Princess is too hard on them.  Thus, these are made from artificial flowers.  I'm sure there are tutorials all over the blogosphere for these types of creations.  However, I've included my method below.

I'm giving these to my daughter today.  If I can get a picture of her playing that doesn't show too much (I'm squeamish about posting pictures of my children), I'll post an updated shot.



Almost everything I needed for this I picked up from the dollar store.  Total cost:  $5

FLOWER WREATH TUTORIAL
Supplies:
  • Artificial Flowers (I purchased 3 bunches but only used 2 for this and the wand)
  • Ribbon (I purchased two spools for $1 a piece, one pink and one white)
  • Glue Gun and Hot Glue (already had)
  • Elastic (already had)
Directions:
  1. I was originally going to use a ribbon for the headband.  However, after measuring it around her head, I decided she would have too much trouble playing with it.  So, I switched to elastic. 
  2. I cut three long lengths of ribbon to hang behind.  I folded these over the elastic and stitched them on.  I did this by hand since I don't own a sewing machine, but I imagine that would be faster.
  3. Next, I snipped the plastic off the flowers and stitched each flower on individually, knotting it on as well.  Then, because my Tomboy Princess can be hard on things, I did a little hot gluing as well.  I really wanted this to be secure.
  4. And that's it.

FLOWER WAND TUTORIAL
Supplies:
  • Artificial Flowers (same as wreath)
  • Ribbon (same as wreath)
  • Glue Gun and Hot Glue (already had)
  • Wooden Dowel (already had)
Directions:
  1. Using hot glue to secure the ribbon, wrap the dowel.  Leave a long length at the top (the length you want to dangle down) before cutting. 
  2. Cut additional ribbon strips to the same length.  Knot the ribbons together with the length attached to the dowel.  I chose to double-knot it here.  I'll let you know if it holds.
  3. Hot glue flowers to hide the knot and then go play.

This is linked with...
Pin It

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I LOVE YOUR STORY!!
SO pretty! Happy New Friend Friday!
I am following you and would love if you follow me :)
I also have a French Obsession Party and Give away tomorrow!!
XOXO
Frenchy

Cindy said...

I also am stopping by from NFFRiday. And I am your newest follower and would love if you would stop by my blog and join if you would like. Our May Day tradition has us making a basket full of treats and putting it on a door step of a friend. We ring the door bell and run away. The person has to find and chase you. If you are caught you get a kiss. Hope you have an awesome May Day.

Julianna said...

This is great! I am visiting from New Friend Friday! I'm a new follower. Hope you'll stop by. http://singingthreelittlebirds.blogspot.com

Tara said...

Following from New Friend Friday

Hope you come by and Follow Trendy Treehouse
http://thetrendytreehouse.blogspot.com/

Have a great weekend! Tara

Unknown said...

Hi, there. I'm here from the Girl Creative's Follow Friday and am following you via Blogger. I love your blog, I love tea, and my daughter's nickname is CJ! :)

Can't wait for you to follow me at http://www.paringdown.com!

Happy Saturday!
Laura

Fawnda@Fireflies and Jellybeans said...

Beautiful! I love the flower wand too! :)

Tara@JustDevineStyle said...

I love this! I am sure it would be a hit with any girl. Lovin the pink!

Anonymous said...

Artificial Trees - Artificial Tree - Artificial Palm Tree - [url=http://artificial-trees-flowers.com/]Artificial Tree[/url] - Artificial Tree Artificial Ficus 2 Artificial Tree Hair Brush Cactus Tree Artificial Plant tree 4 Topiary Artificial In Outdoor Cypress Tree 4'3 Plant artificial flowers 2 X Yucca Palm 3ft (91cm) Artificial Silk Tree Plant artificial flowers Two 6' Fan Palm Artificial Tree Silk Plant New artificial palm Realistic 7' Artificial Sago Silk Tropical Palm Tree silk plants Amazing Artificial Cypress Tree Louisiana Swamp artificial palm.

[url=http://artificial-trees-flowers.com/deals/Artificial+Plants/]Artificial Plants[/url] - Artificial Hanging Plants Artificial Aquarium Plants Artificial Artificial Silk Plants Flowers Stems Etc artificial hanging plants Lot Of 2 Artificial Cactus Plant & Garden artificial outdoor plants Artificial Silk Plants & Flowers Gypsophilia Spray F65 artificial tree topiary 48 Leaf 30 Boston Fern Silk Bush Plant Artificial 48t artificial outdoor plants 2 Cedar 5ft Artificial Outdoor Bush Topiary Tree Plant artificial ivy 23 Silk English Ivy Bush 180 Leaves Artificial Plant.

Related Posts with Thumbnails