Wednesday, April 7

Changing Traditions... the Bunny Cake

Here is my last belated Easter post.  I must confess that I created a scandal this year by breaking from tradition.  Every year we make a Bunny Cake for Easter.  My mother did this when I was younger and the tradition has carried forward, as so many do.  Here's a picture of last year's Bunny.


He's a tasty guy.  Yellow cake, fruit filling between layers, and a cool whip and coconut exterior.  No special mold is used.  He's assembled from two 9-inch cake rounds.  He's a cutie.  (And yes, my mother is creative)

But as I mentioned, I decided to change things up this year.  I've never been great at doing a tradition the same way every year.  I like variety.  (This probably drives my husband crazy since he loves traditions.)  However, there were other reasons for shaking things up besides just my enjoyment of doing new things.  This year's Easter lunch was a smaller gathering than past years.  And since I am still working on losing the baby weight, having a partially eaten cake around the house will not help me.  As it is we have plenty of Easter candy.  But what about little miniature cakes... little cakes that could be shared with others after Easter.  Still with a bunny theme, of course.  Hmmm.  That might work.

Thus was born... Bunny Cupcakes.


These little guys are lemon cake with cream cheese frosting.  The nose and eyes are those little melt-away mints.  The ears are marshmallows with pink sprinkles.

To accompany the bunnies, I made some cupcakes to be grass with a few Easter eggs (jelly beans).  Unfortunately, I learned a lesson here.  I was short on time and bought the frosting from the store.  There were only two cream cheese frosting cans left, and they were whipped.  I grabbed them anyways.  Lesson learned... the frosting was not stiff enough to hold a real form.  My "grass" became textured rather than having real points.  However, they were still delicious.  And my co-workers did help finish off the left-overs Monday morning.


We'll see what we do next year.  Perhaps we'll return to the traditional bunny cake.  Or perhaps we will make a new tradition.



Home is...
Pin It

9 comments:

Stacey @ The Blessed Nest said...

A bunny cake is such a fun tradition! I'd not heard of that before, but I really love it! :) And cupcakes totally would count, in my book! LOL!!
Blessings,
Stacey

Anonymous said...

Delicious!!

Sandy said...

I'm all for new traditions. I usually don't get stuck in a rut! :) And I love your Easter cake (and cupcakes). I've seen a few bunny cakes floating around blogland but yours is the BEST! Thanks for linking up at RE!

Amy @ Positively Splendid said...

Oh - these are just darling! I love taking old traditions and tweaking them to make them all your own.

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog today and leaving such a gracious comment. I am your newest follower!

Jenni R. said...

I think you made a great choice on the cupcakes. Both the cake and cupcakes are really cute! We're working on creating traditions around here too. I'd like to keep sweets to a minimum too when there's already so much! I understand icing issues too! Found you on New Friend Friday. :)

Simply Domestic said...

The bunny cake is gorgeous! I love the cupcakes. How fun!! I always want to make tons of desserts, but I'm always trying to get in shape too!

Mary Beth @ Live. Laugh. Make Something said...

I hopped over from New Friend Friday and am so happy that I did! I've been here several times and I always enjoy my visit! Hope to see you back at my place sometime soon when you get a moment. I have become a follower and hope that you will do the same. Happy Weekend!

Melissa said...

You didn't leave tradition behind - you are simply evolving it (in the best way possible - by making it your own)...

Cotton Kiwi said...

So cute and so yummy looking! Just wanted to let you know I have nominated you for a Sunshine Award over on my blog for all the inspiration you give me. Thanks!

Related Posts with Thumbnails