Sunday, April 25

Blueberry and Cream Cheese "Pop tarts"

I made this last night for a Sunday School Breakfast Fellowship.


Don't they look delicious! 


Homemade "pop tarts" with Blueberry and Cream Cheese filling.  Mmmmmm...


Unfortunately, a wheezing baby and a 3:30am visit with the ER left us home recovering.  So, instead, they have become our snack to get through the day.

I was inspired by For the Love of Cooking's recent foray into pop tarts.  Here's how I made these:

BLUEBERRY AND CREAM CHEESE POP TARTS
Ingredients:
  • 1 package prepared pie crust
  • Blueberry Jam
  • 1 8oz package cream cheese, softened
  • 2 tbls white sugar
  • 1 egg separated
  • raw sugar

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
  2. Line baking sheet with parchment paper or a baking mat.
  3. In a medium bowl, mix the cream cheese, white sugar, and egg yolk until blended.  Set aside.  (BTW, you'll have more than enough of this if you want to make other cream cheese-filled pastries)
  4. Unroll the pie crust on a floured surface and cut into rectangles (for the small squares) or squares (for more "pop tart"-like rectangles).
  5. Put a dollop of the cream cheese mixture on one side.  Top with a dollop of blueberry jam.
  6. Fold the other half of the dough over and seal the edges.  Crimp the edges with a fork, cutting off any uneven edges.
  7. Cut a small vent or two (depending on the size of your pastry) into the pastry and move to your baking sheet.
  8. Whisk the egg white until slightly foamy.  Brush the tops of the pastries with the egg wash and then sprinkle with raw sugar.
  9. Bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.
Enjoy!



This post is linked with:
Pin It

11 comments:

Pati @ A Crafty Escape said...

Those look AMAZING!!! I'm sorry about the sick baby and the middle of the night ER visit, here's hoping for a speedy recovery!

CJ {Pink Tea} said...

Thanks Pati. He has croup, so it could have been much worse. Thankfully the ER was quiet and we were in and out in 45 minutes.

Cotton Kiwi said...

Ooh they look yum CJ! Hope your baby is better today and you manage to get some rest. My oldest has asthma and I know it's a horrible feeling when you can't help them breathe properly. Hope you manage a good night tonight!

Kaysi said...

Yummy!! Those look so good!

MeenyMoe said...

Yummy! And much better than the real poptart!! Cherry and cream cheese sounds wonderful to me. I can also imagine apple pie filling and cheese! My mind is going a mile a minute now! LOL

-Karen

Jaedyn said...

Oh wow, that looks so good! I just bought pop tarts after a long time not having them, and they didn't taste as good as I remembered. lol As a kid. These, however, are awesome! Definitely going to be making these - thank you for sharing!

I'm adding this post to my Monday Creative Moms linky, too. :)

Emily {Frilly Details} said...

Oh my goodness, those look so good!! Yum!

this mum' s world said...

These look delicious I'll have to give them a try.
I'm visiting from just something I whipped up http://thismumsworld.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

Those look delicious!! Thanks for recipe, it seems really simple. Glad to hear everything went okay at the hospital!! :-)

Unknown said...

these look AWESOME!!! I'm over from New Friend Friday at The Girl Creative. I'm your newest follower :)

Unknown said...

YUM YUM YUM. I'm definitely going to try this for the kids.

:) Laura

Related Posts with Thumbnails