Sunday, February 14

Mardi Gras Onesie and Pin

Given that Tuesday is Shrove Tuesday, I decided to put together some fun Mardi Gras-inspired outfits for the kids.  And given my current obsession, that means felt.  Laissez les bons temps rouler.

I love the fleur-de-lis.  There is just something about it that I find beautiful and appealing.  It might have to do with watching Musketeer movies as a kid and the whole romanticism of the debonair swash-buckler.  Then again, I have a thing for Robin Hood, King Arthur, Ivanhoe, Mr. Darcy, Zorro... need I go on.

Back to my little man and his new threads.  I went with the fleur-de-lis design and used the traditional purple, green, and gold.  (As a side note, I looked this up.  According to wikipedia, Grand Duke Alexis Alexandrovitch Romanoff of Russia chose the colors during a visit to New Orleans in 1872.  Then in 1892 the colors were given official meanings... Justice (purple), Power (gold), and Faith (green).  Yes, I am the nerd that looks up the history of holidays and symbols.)

I made the fleur-de-lis as a stand-alone emblem and lightly stitched it to the onesie.  After Tuesday, I'll cut it off and save it to be sewn on a new shirt next year.  My daughter liked looking at her brother's onesie so much that I made her a pin to wear on a cardigan.  She has a cute purple plaid shirt that she can wear with it, and of course we'll add some bead necklaces to complete her ensemble.  (Sorry... couldn't resist)


I also made her a set of purple and green barrettes (same way as the valentine barrettes).  I considered making them fleur-de-lis as well but ended up opting for flowers.


If you are interested in making your own onesie, here's how:

MARDI GRAS ONESIE

Supplies:
  • Felt (Green, Purple, Gold)
  • Embroidery Floss (Green, Purple, Gold)
  • Onesie
  • Scissors
  • Needle
  • Pins
  • Template - I used the one in wikipedia's "fleur-de-lis" entry.  For the onesie, I printed it at 2-1/2 inches high.  For the pin, I made it 3 inches high.
Directions:
  • Choose your main focus color (green for the onesie) and cut out the template shape from the felt.
  • Pin the felt fleur-de-lis to your next color (yellow) and cut around it, leaving about a 1/4-inch allowance.  You should now have a green fleur-de-lis and a slightly larger yellow shape.
  • Pin the yellow shape to your base color (purple) and cut around it, once again leaving about a 1/4-inch allowance.  You should now have a green fleur-de-lis, a yellow shape, and a purple shape.  (Note: The larger shapes will not be as defined.)
  • Stitch the yellow felt onto the purple felt using the yellow thread.
  • Stitch the green felt onto the yellow and purple felt using the green thread.  At this point you have the emblem.
  • Lightly whip-stitch the emblem to the onesie, using the purple thread.  Try to hide the stitches as much as possible along the edge of the yellow layer.
Let the good times roll!

This project is linked with:
The Girl Creative   Sumo Sweet Stuff

Making   make it wear it
giveaways
Pin It

13 comments:

Jamee said...

looks great

Kaysi said...

Those are so fun!! I would never even think about Mardi gras, maybe I'll do something fun with my boys. Thanks for the idea!
Kaysi

KimMalk said...

So darling! I love fluer de lis, too!

Embellished Bayou said...

This is so cute! I love the idea of using a felt applique instead of fabric paint or plain cotton. Come by for a visit tomorrow, I'm re-posting the highlights from Mardi Gras Week on my blog.
~Christy @ Embellishedbayou

CJ {Pink Tea} said...

Jamee... Thank You

Kaysi... It's the first time I've ever done anything for Mardi Gras, but I thought it would be fun

Kim... Isn't is just an elegant symbol

Christy... I'll have to check it out tomorrow

Holly Lefevre said...

Very cute the fleur-de-lis is one of my fave motifs...

CJ {Pink Tea} said...

Thank you Holly. I am glad that there are so many fleur-de-lis lovers out there.

Andrea @ TheTrainToCrazy.com said...

This is wonderful! If you are interested, you can link this up at my Thursday carnival called Make it, Wear it. This would be perfect!

CJ {Pink Tea} said...

Thanks Andrea. I will absolutely do that.

Juliana said...

So cute! I know soooooo many people who would pay big money for that!!!

I am getting such great ideas from all you ladies. I am really into crafts...but since I grew my mini me I have not had as much time, no excuses, I need to get back to it!

I am your newest follower. Juliana from A Blonde Walks Into A Blog. COme and and follow back if you would like. I love meeting other bloggers!

Julie said...

Looks great. I miss the Mardi Gras fun since I've moved away from Lafayette, LA but have tons of fun memories. Love the outfits! Thanks for sharing with Made it Monday! Jules

Unknown said...

love this- what a great idea!
thanks for linking up!

julie said...

love Love LOVE those barrettes!

Related Posts with Thumbnails