Saturday, March 13

Torn Between Seasons... Eating Seasonally

I feel completely torn between Seasons right now.  On the one hand, I am cravings flowers and color to end the gray monotony of Winter.  But while I am beginning to see signs of Spring in the grocery store, the selection is still decidedly Winter produce.  I cannot wait until the Farmer Stands open in our area and I can walk among the bins of fresh produce... smelling the sweet scent of ripe strawberries, enjoying the crisp lettuce fresh from the fields, and hearing that delightful snap of fresh peas.

You see, a couple of years ago I read about seasonal eating and have absolutely loved it.  Now I get excited with the change of each season.  I look forward to the fresh Spring greens, to be followed by the early summer berries, corn, late summer peaches, and then the fall flavors of pears, plums, grapes, pumpkins, and pomegranates.  Mmm... the delights of each Season.

Knowing that the Winter foods will soon be put away, I warned my husband to let me know what Winter dishes he wants made one more time.  I admit that meal planning around here has been pitiful lately.  It feels like we have been dealing with a stream of sicknesses lately and that life hasn't been able to fall into rhythm.  There have been way to many Chick-fil-A nights and frozen pizza nights.  I can't handle it anymore.  Neither my wallet nor my waistline are handling it well.  So, for accountability, I am sharing my meal plans with you here.  Let's see how well I do...


Sunday Lunch:Israeli Couscous with Apples and Cranberries
(Source: Giada De Laurentiis)

Lemon and Blood Orange Gratin
(Source: Tartelette, but substituting Blood Orange for the Honey Tangerines)

Sunday Dinner:Dinner with Extended Family

Monday Dinner:Sausage, Kale, and Cranberry Pasta
(Source: Rachel Ray)
While this recipe sounds odd, it is my husband's favorite Fall and Winter meal.  I do a few modifications to the recipe.  I do all sweet sausage, use vidalia onion, and do the whole can of cranberry sauce rather than the wine.  I alternate between kale and spinach, depending on my mood.

Sliced Blood Oranges with Lavender and Honey

Tuesday Dinner:Green Chile and Ham Quiche with Potatoe Crust
(Source:  For the Love of Cooking)

Wednesday Dinner:Shepherd's Pie with Potatoes and Green Onions, Beef, and Cheddar Cheese
(Source:  I'm making this one up.)

Chocolate Cupcakes filled with Mint Creme
(Source: I'm making this one up.)

Thursday Dinner:Mom's Night with the Kids... in other words, whatever we want


What is your favorite Winter recipe?

Pin It

3 comments:

julie said...

The meal plan sounds awesome. Have you read Animal, Vegetable, Miracle? It's probably my favorite book about seasonal eating (and a great primer on food politics to boot. :-)

BTW, I found an inexpensive Dr. Seuss book @ cooking which is forming the basis of our gift set for Nora. Off to see your Green Eggs & Ham tutorial.

CJ {Pink Tea} said...

I have been eying that book in the stores but haven't read it yet. Thanks for the recommendation.

Have a great time at the party today. I hope Nora loves the gift.

Mary Beth @ Live. Laugh. Make Something said...

so glad that I stumbled in! I am visiting by way of New Friend Friday at TGC. Please accept my invitation to drop in at my place one day this week! until later...

Related Posts with Thumbnails