I do love Korker bows, so I couldn't miss an opportunity to make more. (Check out the Korker Tutorial if interested.) But I have also discovered a whole new world... ribbon sculptures. I saw cute butterfly barrettes around around but couldn't find any free tutorials, so I ended up having to create my own. Continue reading if you are interested in making some as well.
BUTTERFLY BARRETTE TUTORIAL
Grosgrain ribbons (3/8" width), at least two designs
Hot Glue Gun
(1) Cut four 7 1/4" lengths of ribbon, two from each ribbon style.
(2) Overlay two contrasting ribbons with prints facing outward (if applicable). Hot glue one end.
(3) Twist the end into a small loop (as shown below) and glue.
(4) Loop the rest of the ribbon into a larger loop (as shown below) and glue. You now have one wing.
(5) Repeat steps 2-4, reversing the loops, to create a opposite wing.
(6) Cut a length of ribbon to wrap around the hair clip. Secure to clip with glue.
(7) Glue the two wings to the barrette.
(8) Cut a small length of curled ribbon (refer to korker tutorial on how to curl ribbon). I used scraps from my korker bows. Hot glue curled ribbon to center of barrette.